Going on holidays soon?
Before considering whether to board your pet please check their vaccination records to make sure they have been vaccinated within the past 12 months. It is important that your dog is covered for Kennel Cough (called a C5) whilst a cat needs to be at least protected against the feline flu viruses (F3, F4, F5 or F6). If your pet is due for a booster vaccination make sure this is done well ahead of the boarding period.
When choosing a boarding facility, there are a number of factors to consider, such as:
- How big are individual kennels?
- Is there any natural light?
- Will your pet have access to a run during the day?
- How many kennels are there in the complex? Fewer kennels may mean a quieter, calmer stay.
- Do the kennels smell bad? If so, this can indicate poor hygiene or ventilation problems.
- Are the staff/owners welcoming, friendly and polite?
- Did they require proof of vaccination? Vaccination is a legal requirement to help prevent the spread of disease.
- Are there signs of overbooking or overcrowding?
- Do they provide food or can you provide your own pet’s specific diet?
- Can they medicate dogs if required?
- Which veterinarian do they use in an emergency?
You will need to inform the boarding facility of any health problems your pet may have had or is prone to. If medication is to be administered you should let them know at time of booking. Write down the dose, frequency and name of medication. If on long term medication, please ensure you bring along extra just in case. Please provide the boarding facility with our details in the event that your pet needs veterinary attention in your absence.
An ideal boarding facility for your pet has a relaxed, calm atmosphere, created by having fewer kennels/animals, a design that minimises stress and allows maintenance of a high standard of hygiene.
Contact List for Boarding Kennels and Catteries
Acacia Lodge Boarding Kennels Sydney Pet Resort Calabash Kennels & Cattery
Dogs Only Dogs Only Cats and Dogs
204 Carrington Rd, Londonderry 300 Reynolds Rd 27 Calabash Rd
4572 5412 Londonderry Arcadia
0417 209206 0422 647754 9655 1624
email@example.com Daycare, grooming & boarding firstname.lastname@example.org
Meadow Mist Leaps and Bounds Home Pet Care Pet Resorts Australia
Cats and Dogs Mainly Cats (has cattery) 425 Galston Rd
59 Dromana Rd Old Pitt Town Rd Dural
Marsden Park Box Hill 9561 1747
9627 2395 0407 242772
Aristocat Boarding Cattery Glenhaven Cattery Puss & Boots
Cats Only Cats Only Cats Only
174 Annangrove Rd 156 Glenhaven Rd 664 Old Northern Rd
Annangrove Glenhaven Dural
9654 1041 9899 5884 9651 1401
Sleepy Haven Cattery
159 Annangrove Rd
An attractive alternative to boarding kennels is Pet Sitting Services. Not only does it allow your pet(s) to stay in its familiar safe home environment, it gives security as mail is collected, bins are put out and people are seen entering & leaving your premises. A local qualified veterinary nurse runs such a service. Her contact is:
Julie McGlinn 0411 669462