Quakers Hill Veterinary Hospital

PH: 02 9626 9561

Poisons Around the Home

Is your pet out of harm's way?

Toxic chemicals, dangerous plants, as well as products and substances found in everyday surroundings can be poisonous or even fatal to animals. Unfortunately, a pet can ingest a household chemical, lap up a liquid, or chew on a seemingly harmless plant - and become sick or even die.

Have a look around the home, accidents can happen quickly. Here are some preventative measures that can help:

  • Keep medicine, household cleaner, pesticides & automotive products locked up or stored out of reach of pets and children.
  • Before using any household or yard product, always read the label first and follow instructions exactly for safe use, storage and disposal.
  • Never give any medication or supplement to your pet without first consulting your veterinarian. What's helpful to humans can be dangerous or even deadly to pets.
  • Always read the label before using any flea control product on or around your pet. For example, flea products labeled "For dogs only" can cause serious or life-threatening illness if used on cats.                                                                                  

                                                                 

Common Household Hazards

It may surprise you how many substances found in and around your home can be dangerous to your pet.

Kitchen/bathroom

  • in the garbage: fatty off cuts causing pancreatitis; off chicken containing E coli & Salmonella; cooked bones causng obstruction; even coffee grounds (caffeine causes increased heart rate, hyperactivity, shaking or seizures)
  • foods: grapes or sultanas cause cause kidney failure & possibly death in pets; chocolate; yeast dough; avocado; alcohol; tea; macademia nuts; onions; salt; fatty foods; foods containing the sweetener xylitol eg peanut butter, chewing gum
  • painkillers and medications: do not give your pet human medication without consulting a veterinarian
  • soaps, detergents & cleansers: can cause stomach upset, drooling, vomiting &/or diarrhoea. Bleaches can cause severe oral burns & irritation to the respiratory tract.

Bedroom / Living Room

  • mothballs: can cause vomiting, lethargy, seizures, haemolytic anaemia & even death. Ingestion of even one mothball in a small pet can cause serius signs.
  • batteries: can cause oral ulcers, burns, perforation or blockage of the gastrointestinal tract.

Garage / Backyard

  • antifreeze: can be fatal to dogs & cats, even in very small amounts.
  • petrol: can irritate skin & mucous membranes. Exposure can lead to central nervous system depression, vomiting, drooling, diarrhoea & aspiration.
  • insecticides & herbicides: always follow label directions; keep pets away from the area of application for the time recommended.
  • glues & adhesives: apart from sealing body parts, some can cause stomach upset & others can expand to cause gastric obsruction.

Potentially Dangerous Plants

  • Plants harmful to the heart are: liliy of the valley, oleander, rhododendron, azalea, yew, foxglove & kalanchoe.
  • Plants that can cause kidney failure: rhubarb leaves & shamrock; & especially lillies in cats.
  • Palnts that can cause liver failure include sago palms, cycad palms & some species of mushrooms.
  • A particularly dangerous plant is Brunfelsia (Yesterday Today & Tomorrow). It causes vomiting, facial twitching, seziures and possibly death.
  • Corn plant, ribbon plant & other Dracaenia species can cause abdominal plant, vomtiing, depression, weakness, drooling, loss of appetite, incoordination, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing & elevated heart rate.
  • Castor bean (Ricinus species) can cause renal failure, convulsions & death.

 

Contact Quakers Hill Veterinary Hospital immediately on 9626 9561 if you suspect your pet has swallowed a suspicious item or substance.

 

 

© Copyright 2017. All rights reserved. Quakers Hill Veterinary Hospital ,